Wednesday 18 June 2008

Doritos Brief

Doritos Brief:
You Make It, We Play It
This was a competition for UK entrants with the guidelines and rules being our brief. How this fitted in exactly with the unit is lost somewhere, but we were told it did, so on we pressed. For this brief we were to produce an advert for Doritos. It had to be exactly 29 seconds long, fun, exciting and whatever we wanted it to be, as long as no violence, swearing or nudity obviously. Started by brainstorming and then researching. Mainly looked at the shape of a dorito and tried to apply it - such as, as a pyramid or other objects. Since, at the time, my housemates were playing a lot of different video games, I wanted to go with a video game idea. This was the first thing that came into my head and one which I developed. I came up with basing it on a timeline of video games and eventually progressed onto the idea of starting with 'Pong', one of the first popular video games (where a ball was bounced from side to side from 'bats' - like hockey game) and wanted to substitute the ball for a dorito. Researching more into video games and timelines I wanted the next 'scene' to be a Space Invaders mock up - replacing the spaceship at the bottom with a dorito spaceship. This research went on until I had a full 29 seconds worth of material including games such as - Asteroids, with the spaceship as a dorito, Tetris, with all the shapes as doritos, R-Type, again the dorito as the spaceship with a Salsa jar shaped baddie and the end game was Wipeout, again a dorito instead of the spaceship.
I decided to produce this as an animation, and, despite finding it difficult in the last brief, decided to use Flash. I chose Flash for a more 'smoother' finish, as I could use the tools to produce all the characters and scene settings. I also thought, as this time it isn't a website, I wouldn't have to produce buttons and therefore not use actionscript. I thought I would challenge myself again, as even though I found the website brief hard, it didn't mean that I would never use Flash again, so off I went.
In the end, I believe that the idea I had was good, but I didn't execute it well. I finished the project on time and got everything that I wanted in it, but I think I could've put more effort into making it look better. For the music I just remixed one of my own songs into something more cartoon-y/game-like. I still find using Flash difficult but will keep working on it to better myself with this application. Overall I think the outcome was ok - not impressive - but at least I got to put all my original ideas in.

No comments: